Ford announces enhanced paid sick leave is coming
Ontario Premier Doug Ford announced enhanced paid sick leave is coming to the province at a press conference on April 22, 2021.
In recent weeks, the premier had been insisting provincial legislation for paid sick leave was not necessary because workers were already covered by the federal government's Canada Sickness Recovery Benefit (CSRB) program.
Critics, including the NDP and CUPE Ontario have argued there are flaws with the CSRB, including the fact that workers need to apply after being sick and that they need to have been away for a majority of days they were scheduled to work in a week. They also raised the concerns that it can take weeks to get reimbursement.
Members of the Ford government said they were disappointed the federal budget didn't included enhancements to the CSRB in its budget.
Ford said details about his plan for paid sick leave will be announced at a later date.